Here is a delicious recipe from Mrs. Cheney, an avid cook who loved to bake. She shared it with us at a gathering of the “Hampden County”, a group of apple growers. We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. 🙂
|¼ cup shortening||1 cup flour||3 cups apples in ½ chunks|
|1 cup sugar||½ tsp salt||1 tsp vanilla|
|1 egg||½ tsp cinnamon||¼ cup chopped nuts (optional)|
|½ tsp nutmeg|
|½ tsp baking powder|
|½ tsp baking soda|
- Peel apples, and cut into ½ chunks.
- In a large mixing bowl cream shortening and sugar then beat in the egg.
- Sift together dry ingredients, then add to egg mixture.
- Stir in apples, vanilla, and nuts.
- Put it in a greased 8×8 inch pan, bake in preheated oven at 350°F and cook for 45 minutes
- Eat warm or cold, serve with whipped cream (optional)
- Makes 9 servings.